Friday, February 27, 2009

Back in the Saddle

It had been about four months since I had last ridden my bike, but two weeks ago I signed up for a double century to get myself out of the rut I had gotten into. After increasing my college workload to three courses per trimester, I suddenly became very busy with homework and group projects. I used that as an excuse to cease my bike commute to work to conserve more energy to dedicate to school. But, after four months, I began to miss that feeling of riding to work as the sun is rising and riding along the beach on the way home from work. Not to mention the physical conditioning I once had.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me a link to site boasting a ride from Santa Monica, CA to Santa Barbara, CA on April 25 and riding back on the following day. The site is located here and the ride is being put on by Shifting Gears Cycling. My friend participated in this ride in 2008 and he said it was very well done. The fee is nominal considering that you have a full support crew with lunch, accommodations and even massages. This is just what I need to get out of my rut. So, I signed up and began commuting via bike to work again this week.

I go to school in the evenings two times a week so I decided to ride my bike to work on the days that I don't have school. Therefore, I am able to rack up 72 miles during those three days plus some early morning rides on the weekend for some longer distances. I have to admit that I've been a bit tired this week, but I can tell that I'll feel better once my conditioning returns.

So, if you're reading this and you live in or around Los Angeles, check out the double century ride from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara being held on April 25-26, 2009. 2 days, 200 miles. I'm sure it'll be a blast!

No comments: