Friday, July 25, 2008

Bike Peddler Take A Look Mirror

I've been doing some research on mirrors to use while riding in the city. I'm not a big fan of putting trinkets on my bike, so I've pretty much ruled out the type of mirrors that attach to the handle bars. That narrowed my search down a bit. After reading about mirrors that attach to the helmet, and bike mirrors in general, it became clear that mirrors have a tendency to vibrate with the wind and bumps while riding.

Ultimately, I've decided on getting the Bike Peddler Take A Look Mirror for US$16.00.

It's easily adjustable and it can be attached to either your eye glasses or helmet visor. I do not wear glasses but I use a mountain bike helmet so it's perfect for me.



Several time's I've been riding a long the street in the bike lane and a car or truck flies by with their tires in my lane. Hopefully, with this mirror, I'll be able to see a situation like this coming and I can move over in time to avoid a potential hazard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your note on the Grannygear website. At one time or another I've done all the GG races except Killington and the now defunct Landahl race. I did snowshoe twice and have done Moab 9 times. The courses are not similar in the least.
In Moab expect lots of sand (some pits unrideable for 90% of the racers). The first 1/3 of the course is generally uphill with some moderate technical riding and a couple of technical sections you'll want to scout before the race to get the lines. Completely doable, but definitely easier and harder ways down through them.
There is one technical section that I've never seen anyone ride. It is a steep descent (that I have done, but not worth the risk), then you cross 20 yards of flat ground then a climb that is likely impossible unless you are a trails rider on a trials bike (ie, you are going to get off your bike, so risking a trip to the ER on the technical descent is not worth it). At that point (about 1/3 of the way around) I'm always 1/2 way to my lap finish time. The remainder of the course is pretty easy. There are two big climbs on the course, one about 1/4 of the way around and one that tops out about 1 1/2 miles from the finish.
It's a great course. Have fun and see you out there.
P.S: it'll also be cold. One year it was in the mid-teens at night with snow. I'd say average temps for this race are mid 60's for highs and mid 30's for lows. Don't expect it to be warmer than that - you've been warned!!!

B-Man said...

Wow! Thanks for the tips! I had no idea the temps would be that extreme. Sounds like I'll be running / walking with my bike like at Snowshoe! Hopefully my lights don't go out like they did at Snowshoe though...