Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Headlamp on my Road Bike

So, I broke down the other day and installed my old halogen headlamp on my road bike (only when commuting to work)... I have to admit, it looks funny on my nice road bike. And I had to get creative with the mounting bracket because of the tapered handlebars. But, I can certainly tell the difference in how drivers react when they see me compared to when I didn't have a headlamp. Especially in the morning since there's not as much daylight. I can tell that drivers generally give me more space before pulling out in front of me than they did before. Also, my headlamp is just about the same height as most side view mirrors, so when I'm cruising by cars parked on the side of the road near the "door zone" the light shines in the side view mirrors letting drivers know I'm there.

The headlamp bracket stays on the bike all the time now, but I can slip the actual lamp off very easily when not commuting to work.

No comments: