Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Been a While...

OK, I haven't been blogging like I used to primarily because I was traveling on vacation last week. During the vacation I was lucky enough to be able to meet up with some old friends and go running in Virginia. It was an extremely relaxing vacation. I stayed most of the time with my parents in the countryside near Smithfield, VA. They have a house tucked away in a small community on a dead end road with the trees surrounding every corner. Most mornings I would go for a run before my parents were up and then sit on their back deck with some hot oatmeal and a nice cup of coffee. The sense of tranquility in amongst the chirping birds and singing locusts was a deserved break from the hectic vibe of the city.

I took my parents to a nature trail called the Noland Trail located on the banks of the James River on the Hampton Roads peninsula in Newport News. I have fond memories of this trail because the first time I had run on the trail was also the first time I had ever ran 5 miles in my life. I also have great memories of the trail because I used to take my wife there a lot and we'd run together and share a great runners high immediately after completing the run! The trail is wonderfully maintained and it encompasses a body of water that connects to the James River. There are amazingly tall pine trees and sturdy wooden bridges throughout the trail. It's a great place to run if you're in the area.

All in all I came back to work with a refreshed sense excitement about work and school. It's amazing what a little time off away from regular routines can do for ones perspective.

By the way, I rode my bike to work again today for the first time in almost two weeks and even though I was running throughout that time, I felt like I was a little more fatigued than I used to be. It's so hard to get in shape but its so easy to get out of shape.

No comments: